Applicants have the option to interview before being offered a spot, or securing a spot with a deposit and have an interview later on to confirm it is a good fit. In the event we feel this isn’t the right trip for you, the deposit is fully refunded.
Trip fees do not include flights, visa and arrival fees, passport costs, travel vaccinations, alcoholic drinks, souvenirs, or travel insurance.
The remaining profits return to The Giving Lens to do a number of things. 1) pay our small staff (currently 1 full time and 1 part time) a very (very) humble salary. It also covers administrative and various overhead costs, not limited to website maintenance, advertisements, taxes, software, accounting, banking, and other basic small business costs . We also must retain a comfortable buffer of funds for emergencies, year-end taxes, last-minute drop outs/cancellations, marketing, contests, and many other costs which add up over the course of a year.
These are reasonable terms, in place to protect our other participants, our partner NGO, and ourselves.
Terms and Conditions
- Applicant has 5 days from invitation to join to accept and to pay deposit, except in cases of less than three months to departure (see #6). If cannot be contacted by the 7th day, spot is opened up to a waiting list / posted online.
- The Deposit is not refundable but is transferable forward to a future trip with TGL, if FIVE months notice is given.
- Less than five months, deposit cannot transfer forward due to financial stress.*
- Remainder is due 2 months prior to departure. Unlike the deposit it needs to be paid immediately. If it is late and no contact can be made, three emails of warning will occur before spot is considered forfeited and deposit is retained.
- Remainder is non-refundable, non-transferable.*
- Where the applicant has applied with less than three months to departure, payment in full may be required, or 50% now and 50% in several weeks if needed.
- In the extremely unlikely event that the trip is cancelled by us due to civil unrest, a natural disaster, or other unforeseen, rare occurrences, there are two options.
- a) If participant would like to transfer forward to a future trip with open spots, s/he need only pay any different in cost (or accept a refund in difference).
- b) if participant would prefer a refund: a 10% processing fee.
All participants are required to produce an electronic signature on the Refund Policy, and on a TGL Participant Contract which states that health and well-being are as listed on the original application; that they have purchased health and travel insurance (including flight cancellation insurance); and a liability waiver.
*in some cases, to the discretion of TGL, if the participant can offer a suitable replacement for the trip (who must do an interview with us to confirm), the position on the team can be transferred to a new person and the finances worked out privately between you and them.